Thursday, October 9, 2008

co-worker troubles..

If you could convince one person to change his or her mind about something, whom would you choose and what would you try to convince that person to see differently?

I think I would convince a woman at my work to leave her alcoholic, abusive husband. He was fired from our company for coming to work drunk all the time and stealing. He then proceeded to live off her measly income for a year and a half, he finally just got a job and she is so proud! (and about to lose her home). I have tried and tried to tell her this situation is hurting her and her son. She "feels bad" because he has a "problem" it's so ridiculous I don't even want to talk to her anymore you know? I feel bad but I have enough troubles of my own to listen to her broken record of a life she has the power to change. Sorry if I sound bitter instead of caring, but this has gone on too long..

5 comments:

Ceesea said...

Ugh...been there. The worst part is that you can make the most convincing argument in the world, but she will never be convinced. She has to figure it out on her own. My brother's in a marriage like that. I hope my brother and your friend figure it out sooner than later!

Oh, btw, I LOVE the picture at the top of your blog. Did you take it?

Laurie Young said...

I guess I should mention her husband was fired this morning!

Carleen said...

Been there, too. I have a niece who is married to an abuser and although she will call her parents (my in-laws) to come rescue her whenever he goes on a rampage, she will not leave the situation permanently. We've all tried to make her see that her two children are the ones who will end up suffering the most because her son will think abusing women is the norm and her daughter will grow up believing that she ought to be beaten by a man, but all she can say is, "But I love him!"

Laurie Young said...

yeah "but I love him" believe me, if you can love a beater you can love another!

lovingtuesday said...

Friendship is a difficult thing. I feel for you friend though, being a single Mom can be difficult. Little things about being a single Mom are difficult. The other day I went to a restaurant and was ready to be seated, the waitor said, "is there someone else in your party." I realize that in most people's eyes ther is a missing piece of the puzzle. Also how do I, a female give my child a Father figure? Your friend probably feels that her child needs a Father figure. I just hope that her son doesn't take on his characteristics if the alcoholic continues to be abusive.