Tuesday, October 28, 2008

War, what is it good for? absolutely nothing!

Do you agree or disagree with Aeschylus' statement that "in war, truth is the first casualty"? How does his statement relate to the issue of censorship?
I agree.. I wouldn't go as far as to say that if people saw the true tragedy of war, war would cease to exist, and the reason for this is people already know how ugly war is. That is why it is called war. Maybe people in society rationalize things so much so that they think war is all flowers and hugs. But for me and most people I know, we know how traumatic and terrible war is. People don't want to see it. I don't think these photos should be shown on national television because it forces people to see it when they don't want to. But I also don't think it should be censored. I feel that there should be websites with images such as these so people who want to view them can and people who don't, don't have to. Also the families of the deceased in the photos smust give permission for the world to see. Otherwise it is unethical.

1 comment:

Carleen said...

If images of war were on television, though, people could just as easily change the channel or turn it off. One thing to remember about this issue is that the government censors war images when the war is unpopular among the citizens.